Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Teacher Tidbit Tuesday: What's Your Summer Routine?


My summer is anything but routine, and that's what I love most about it! During the school year we are so busy from the time we wake up until the time we go to sleep at night, our days often become a bit monotonous. So when summer comes around, I am ready to drop all of those routines and just let our days plan themselves. 

I have three children that are all in an activity or two, so we do have some soccer and swimming lessons pre-planned for us each week, but I don't make them follow a schedule every day. 

I LOVE being able to sleep in during the summer, so our days start out a few hours later than they do during the school year. I also prefer to stay up later in the summer (after my children are in bed) to read, check out Instagram or Pinterest, or watch something other than Disney Junior on television. 

This summer we took our first two weeks off to take a Florida vacation. This was the best choice I've made in a long time! I really needed to get away after the end of a long school year. It was great to get away with my family and not think about anything school related for 2 whole weeks! Sometimes taking a little time off the grid is the best medicine for yourself! 

A trip to the beach was exactly what we needed!

I finally made it to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter!
As we enter July, I will try to schedule some time each week to take a look at some of that teaching curriculum material that I brought home. There's also a large stack of books that I'm working my way through this summer. But, I really do try to focus on my family during the summer. I have all school year long to worry about that work stuff!


I missed last week's TTT on my teaching history, but here's the shortened version!

I have been incredibly lucky to work in a wonderful district with amazing people and great kids for the last 17 years. I was given this job on my 2nd interview after college, and I've never left. (Why leave a good thing?) I have been teaching 5th grade for my entire career, and I still love it just as much (if not more) than when I first started. 

This year I am starting out on a bit of a new adventure, as our 5th grade begins to departmentalize. I will be teaching Reading/ELA/SS to 2 sections of students each day. I will have one group that is our G/T group, so I am excited to change up my routine a little bit. I absolutely love Reading and Social Studies, so I'm really looking forward to being able to focus on what I love. 



Be sure to join us again next week for #teachertidbittuesday as we share some of our favorite Instagrammers! You won't want to miss these #mustfollow accounts!

Don't forget to follow me on Bloglovin!

Thanks,
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment